View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 04:57 PM

Post David Heyman talks Draco Malfoy's development in Half-Blood Prince

In a new interview with Movie Magic magazine, producer David Heyman spoke about the Harry Potter films, though it should be noted that this is an old interview given that he states the last chapter of the series, Deathly Hallows, had not been announced as being split up into two parts.

David, however, does discuss character development, especially Draco Malfoy's in Half-Blood Prince:

Quote:
MM: Is Yates continuing to push the actors the way that he did in the last film?

David Heyman: A perfect example of that is Tom Felton as Malfoy. I think Tom's always been wonderful, but he's always played it slightly more heightened. He's been the villain, as it were. But in this film, partly because it's in the book, partly because of what we've chosen to emphasize in the script and partly because of what David (Yates) is bringing out as director, it's a much more complex role - and Tom Felton is embracing that. He is the chosen one just like Harry is the chosen one. He's been chosen by Voldemort to kill Dumbledore just as Harry is the "chosen one" and Voldemort is his destiny. Draco is not altogether comfortable with the task he's been given. On the one hand, he's excited about making a name for himself and the import, but he struggles with his conscience and whether it's something he wants or should be doing. And those nuances that Tom is bringing to it are terrific. It feels like a deeper, richer character than we've been able to see to date. So I think David is continuing to deepen the characters. And the comedy is really very human; the awkwardness of romance; how people are brought apart and brought together is done in a very real but very funny way. I think he's doing a wonderful job. Listen, I'm very excited about this film. We presented a 20-minute reel to the studio yesterday and they seemed very pleased - but let's not kid ourselves, what are they going to say? "We're in real trouble here!"?
The scans of the article can be seen in our galleries.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince makes its way into theatres November 21, 2008.

Source: Tom Felton Daily