View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 08:32 AM

Post J.K.Rowling writes the Tales of Beedle the Bard (UPDATED)

J.K.Rowling has written a Harry Potter spin-off book, the Tales of Beedle the Bard, a wizarding children's book referenced in Deathly Hallows. However only seven copies have been published. Jo has given six to her friends and intends to auction the other to benefit The Children's Voice.

More pictures can be seen here thanks to UHP.

Quote:
JK said: "It was really to thank six key people, without whom Harry Potter wouldn't have happened, or wouldn't have been the same."
Quote:
JK admitted she found writing this extra book useful: "It's been a wonderful way to say goodbye. It's like coming up from a deep dive.

"It's not about Harry, Ron and Hermione, but it comes from that world. I didn't expect it to be, but it's been quite therapeutic in a way. A nice way to say goodbye."
The tales are also illustrated by JKR.

Quote:
The book will be auctioned at Sotheby's in London in December with a starting price of £30,000, although it is expected to sell for a lot more.
More information can be found at Rowling's website:

Quote:
As this idea came to me only after I had finished writing "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows", I was left with the task of writing stories for the three titles Ron mentions in that book: "The Fountain of Fair Fortune", "The Wizard and the Hopping Pot," and "Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump" (and if anyone thinks it was easy coming up with a tale called "Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump," let me disabuse them here.) I've added a new story ("The Warlock’s Hairy Heart") and completed the collection with the only fable already told, "The Tale of the Three Brothers".
Quote:
Each of the seven copies of "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" has a different dedication; all are leather-bound and embellished with silver and different semi-precious stones. The seventh book (the Moonstone edition) will be auctioned at Sotheby's in London on December 13th 2007. The book will be on display to the public for a short period before the sale, and catalogues will be sold, all profits going to the Children's Voice.
Pictures from the publication can be seen in a slideshow here.

UPDATE: An interview related to the news that the BBC conducted can be seen here or below;