View Single Post
Old 09-13-2024, 06:32 PM   #43 (permalink)
MadMadamMalfoy
Newbie Mod

Alley Proprietor
Mackled Malaclaw

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sydney M. L. Masters
Slytherin
Second Year

Diagon Alley Proprietor:
Caledon Roth
The Leaky Cauldron
Rhibear ~ Madam Solo ~ Dark Brooding Girl ~ Accio Jedi ~ Gryffinclaw ~ Just a doll

Sydney nodded at the professor’s answer to her question. Ohhh, okay… so she wasn’t wrong about Old Hollywood films using nitrate film. That was good to know. She was not at all surprised though mildly disappointed that they weren’t using nitrate film in the cameras. That would’ve been fun - and chaotic! She smiled a little to herself, imagining some poor unsuspecting person working with nitrate film.

She looked at the board as the answers to the activity appeared on the board. Oh, The Parent Trap was the only one she didn’t get right. Apparently there was more than one version of that movie, and she only knew the other one. She set her parchment aside, paying close attention to the next activity’s instructions. A short film about something that interested her about Hollywood? That could be fun. The hard part was deciding what to film! There were a lot of things that interested her about Hollywood.

Sydney absentmindedly tapped her quill against her face as she thought, trying to come up with an idea she could execute on her own in the time allotted. Hmm… the thing that interested her most about Hollywood was probably the old monster movies, but how would that translate into a short film? She was only one person, and this just wouldn’t look right without some costumes and props. Sydney Masters was nothing if not a stickler for accuracy!

Suddenly an idea came to her. What if she did an animated short? A concept came to mind… various icons symbolizing the classic monster movies morphing into each other in chronological order of the movies’ release. Which ones should she use? The Phantom of the Opera’s mask (and not the half mask from that overly romanticized musical version!), a bat for Dracula, lightning for Frankenstein, and… something for the Mummy. A bandaged mummy hand, maybe? She decided to skip the Bride of Frankenstein, the Wolfman, and the Creature from the Black Lagoon for various reasons: two for time constraints, and one because she thought it might be offensive to real werewolves.

Sydney drew a series of very rudimentary sketches, just detailed enough for the objects to be recognizable because of the time constraints. This would’ve gone a lot faster if she could use magic to animate her drawings, but she thought that would defeat the purpose of Muggle Studies. When she had her sketches done, all that was left was to figure out how to work the camera. She arranged her sketches in order, set up the camera, and removed the lens cap. Now where was the on switch? Found it!

If I could take that second chance, If I could make my life anew, If only dreams came true...