View Single Post
Old 09-11-2024, 03:16 PM   #36 (permalink)
MadMadamMalfoy
Newbie Mod

Alley Proprietor
Mackled Malaclaw

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sydney M. L. Masters
Slytherin
Second Year

Diagon Alley Proprietor:
Caledon Roth
The Leaky Cauldron
Default She has a question ^_^
Rhibear ~ Madam Solo ~ Dark Brooding Girl ~ Accio Jedi ~ Gryffinclaw ~ Just a doll

Technically no, that wasn't the first thing Sydney associated with Hollywood. That was simply the first thing she associated with it that was 1) not glaringly obvious; 2) unlikely to get her into trouble for saying and 3) actually relevant to the era mentioned. The professor's response got a slight smile from her, but she didn't dwell on it for long.

She listened intently to the lecture, her eyes glued to the camera the entire time. She was so engrossed in the camera that she nearly missed the instructions for the activity. She blinked, staring at the parchment in front of her. Hmm… why did Professor Leroy choose movies only from the later half of the Golden Age? She wondered. Did he not like early Hollywood movies? Perhaps he thought they would be easier to identify… Another potential reason popped into her head, one that reminded her of a question she'd been meaning to ask since the start of class.

“Excuse me, Professor. I have a question about film bases,” she said after raising her hand and being called on. “Did all Old Hollywood films use plastic film bases? I thought most of them, at least the ones made before 1951, used nitrate. Was that a type of plastic film base?”

While Sydney awaited an answer to her question, she turned her attention to the stills on the parchment. She identified the right column fairly quickly. She immediately recognized the car from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. She rather liked that movie, especially the villain character. The middle right still she recognized as West Side Story. That movie was a bit too romantic for her tastes, but she did like the fight scenes and the tragic ending. The bottom right still was a little harder for her. She only knew it because she recognized Audrey Hepburn, of whom her ma was a fan.

With the right side identified, she turned her attention to the left. The top left was relatively easy. She knew The Sound of Music from watching it in primary school. Ugh, such a cutesy movie! The middle right still was from a movie she hadn't seen… a guy in a raincoat dancing? Singing? Wait, that was it! She remembered there was an old movie called Singin’ in the Rain. While she wasn't completely sure, she couldn't think of anything else it could possibly be.

The only still that had Sydney genuinely stumped was the bottom left. Twin girls, sort of like her and Blakeney if they had different haircuts. Hmm… Sydney thought, shifting her quill from her right hand to her left. The only movie she knew of with twin girls came out long after the Golden Age, and the twins looked different from that still. Leaving that one blank for now, she filled in the answers she knew.

SPOILER!!: Sydney's answers

The Sound of Music
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Singin’ in the Rain
West Side Story
?
Breakfast at Tiffany's

If I could take that second chance, If I could make my life anew, If only dreams came true...