Thread: Lesson: DADA: The Knockback Jinx
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2024, 01:24 AM   #24 (permalink)
MadMadamMalfoy
Newbie Mod

Alley Proprietor
Mackled Malaclaw

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sydney M. L. Masters
Slytherin
Second Year

Diagon Alley Proprietor:
Caledon Roth
The Leaky Cauldron
Default We hope we're doing this right!
Rhibear ~ Madam Solo ~ Dark Brooding Girl ~ Accio Jedi ~ Gryffinclaw ~ Just a doll

Sydney definitely heard a chuckle from Professor Khanna when she gave her answer. It was rather amusing to think about someone touching a venomous tentacula, and it sounded exactly like something her siblings would do. Fortunately they had her to stop them from doing stupid things like that. Honestly, there weren’t many people she’d cast the Knockback Jinx for in that situation. It wasn’t the tentacula’s fault some people weren’t smart enough to leave it alone.

At the professor’s instructions, she followed the others to the dueling arena, eager to start practicing as soon as possible. Her grayish-blue eyes scanned the area, observing the six cutouts. She had a pretty good idea where this activity was going, even before she heard the directions. She listened with a slight frown. The idea of “good guys” and “bad guys” seemed a bit… subjective.

How did they know the muggle lady didn’t steal that cat? How did they know the thief wasn’t actually taking back something that rightfully belonged to him? The guy scoring the goal could’ve cheated to get it; the kid with the kite could be annoying someone by being loud or tromping over someone’s lawn. The witch casting Avada Kedavra could be defending herself from an attack, and the hag… was only doing what was in its nature. Morality was rarely as black and white as people wanted to believe.

Whatever Sydney felt about assigning morality to inanimate objects, she wouldn’t turn down a chance to practice a new spell… especially one with bombastic and/or chaotic effects. She took her place in line, practically bouncing in place as she waited her turn. When her turn came, she drew her wand. Her eyes scanned from left to right. As soon as an approved target appeared (she was not calling it a “bad guy”!), she wasted no time making the check mark wand movement with a hook at the end. “Flipendo!” she cast confidently.

If I could take that second chance, If I could make my life anew, If only dreams came true...