View Single Post
Old 04-14-2023, 02:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Chelliephone

Fanfiction Mod
4 Privet Drive Mod

Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Vera Brinley Thanatos
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mandrake Beery
Slytherin
Third Year
Anashti l Brat Pack l Sally & Dr. Finklestein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
He'd been told that having the ability to speak to snakes was both a blessing and a curse. Something that Mackenzie had pondered upon many times over, and had remained neutral about it. Snakes in general were misunderstood creatures since they seem to be just lying around sleeping... or perhaps very much like him, enjoyed being alone and unbothered and kept their eyes on the things happening around him. This Slytherin did feel a bit slighted when he was told he was being anti-social. To him, he'd rather peg himself as one being highly selective with his associations. Much like the snakes.

Mackenzie took a step back and blinked at the other student, very much surprised, and confused at the sudden reaction. He'd quickly eyed the grass snake, noting how it has raised its head. Perhaps in a flight or fight mode, deciding if it could trust them both. "Sorry about that," Mackenzie said in a hushed tone, embarrassed with himself too. He was, after all, notoriously known for being quiet and having a tendency to just appear out of nowhere.

While she talked, the rising fifth-year made himself comfortable as he sat on the floor and watched the reptiles before him, catching a glimpse of his companion mimicking the snake. He'd quirked an eyebrow at her silliness but quickly erased the expression on his face as soon as she started talking about her pet. "Your suspicion is correct. Snakes are solitary creatures. They wouldn't want the extra company," they were pretty jealous and clingy if Mackenzie was to be believed. "Though you could provide a separate tank and a separate area for it." he continued, nodding towards the grass snake she fancied. "I have one as well. Her name is Ruby, and she's an albino ball python." perhaps a "reptile fan" was an understatement. "I'm happy I don't have to smuggle her to school anymore. I just got permission from Professor Paton that I could bring her to Hogwarts next term." he even got her to write a note for his dad as proof. "Will you be bringing yours too?"
Snakes being misunderstood seemed to be a theme all around, especially given the term was also used for Slytherins as a whole. Which... she realized she did not currently have any Slytherin friends, but not from any type of prejudice of her own she just hadn't met many. She didn't think they had the same reputation as they had historically, but... in the past they'd often been stereotyped as being 'evil' as a whole group. Snakes weren't evil. And neither was any symbolism of them. They were simply a creature. A creature that she would point out, that happened to be a delicacy of one of the other house creatures.

But that was neither here nor there.

Her cheeks were a bit red from her own embarrassment, and she considered explaining that it wasn't him exactly but just that she'd been in her own head and thought the snake was speaking to her for a moment. But she realized that was actually probably even more embarrassing so perhaps it was best to just leave it alone, which was what she then did. She heard the quiet apology, but considering he was also looking at the reptile she couldn't decipher if it was for her or the snake, but on the off chance it'd been her and rude to not say anything she gave a quick, "It's fine!"

Even if she could not purchase the little guy, she was tempted to still ask if she could bring him out and hold him for a bit. Though truthfully that probably just would have further encouraged her to still adopt him, maybe take him home for Vesper where she could still hang out with the snake too. An almost good idea, but seemed if her sister was also going to get a pet she should probably be able to be a part of that selection. "Different enclosures does make sense but... then I'd also have to split my time between the pair of them and what if one started to feel neglected?" She was only home so many months of the year for the time being. And if she did receive permission to take Sass, well she couldn't very well take TWO creatures. It was better to wait. Once she was graduated she could have as many as she wanted. Her attention turned back towards the slytherin and she moved to perch near him, also facing towards the reptiles so she could observe. "Ball pythons are really cute! And the albino ones always look so magestic. Ruby is a good name. Is it because her eyes are red?" She knew not all of the albino creatures had reddish hue to their eyes, but she was curious if that was what had lent to his snake's name. "I still have to owl Professor Paton to double check but I'm hoping to take mine to school." And she was 14, soon to be 15 in November and a little more responsible so... she was expecting an affirmative answer.

Hopefully.

Let them point and laugh at who we are, it's you and me here dancing from the start
Chelliephone is offline   Reply With Quote